our favorite quotes

"Education is not the filling of a pail, but the lighting of a fire."— William Butler Yeats
refresh for more

Thursday, April 26, 2007

Shooting From the Hip

Sunday was our last time attending the ward we've been in for almost three years! We'll be attending the family ward for our area starting next Sunday since The Chief is graduating and we've been in student wards for over four years! In sacrament meeting the two assigned speakers finished with a half hour left in the meeting. I think Bishop had planned on having time to address us, but I don't think he planned on having that much time. He decided to solicit a little help to fill the time and he called on The Chief to come up and answer a question. "Shooting from the hip," Bishop called it. I was a little nervous for The Chief, probably because I would be petrified to have to answer a question I'd had no time to ponder before-hand, but as usual, he was a natural! Bishop asked The Chief to tell everyone how his law school education had affected his understanding of the Savior's atonement for us. That's a loaded question! The Chief, however, readily answered that throughout his schooling they had gone over case after case where justice was served. Inevitably, someone walked away from a court decision disappointed. Thanks to the Savior's atonement, however, while justice will be executed, so will mercy be present at the final judgment. The Chief said that while our laws on this earth are imperfect, the Savior has offered us a way to become perfected through Him. I was very impressed with The Chief's on-the-spot answer. Of course, he was much more eloquent than I have been in the retelling, but the message is still there. I love my husband! He is deep, insightful, spiritual, intellectually stimulating, and so much fun to be around!

3 comments:

Lisa/Scott said...

What a wonderful answer! He must have been a great missionary...(misssionaries get put on the spot like that constantly). Scott and I have been in a family ward since we've got married and we like it a lot. I actually really liked relief society untill they put me in the primary for the thousanth time. ( Maybe I'm supposed to have a big family and the lord is preparing me for that. ) I love how you can relate the atonement to anything...all things really do point to Christ don't they?

Liz said...

On April 27, 2007 6:27 AM, Brojonel said:

Very good answer, Chief! Its sounds like maybe he had pondered that before. I wouldn't have had a clue what to say!

Good luck in your new ward. We have always liked the family wards alot.

Liz said...

On April 27, 2007 9:22 AM, Kari Bryan said:

Your really going to leave the ward? Good luck in he family one, its a tough one, but I'm sure if you are involved it will be okay for you. We should send Aaron and The Chief out golfing sometime and we can hang out