our favorite quotes

"Education is not the filling of a pail, but the lighting of a fire."— William Butler Yeats
refresh for more

Saturday, January 2, 2010

The problem with DVR . . .

. . . is that not everyone's got it.  Try explaining that to a five-year-old who is dancing in front of his grandma and grandpa's tiny, old television set, suppressing the urgent need to pee while frantically demanding that his favorite cartoon be paused so he can take care of business without missing even a fraction of a second.  And, after you've said it's impossible and he gives up out of sheer necessity, dashing to happy relief at the toilet, try explaining upon his return that it's just as impossible to rewind and recapture what he's missed.  And then try to be patient while he proceeds to miss the next 10 minutes of said favorite cartoon to wail, pound his fists into the ground, and accuse all around him of foul play, swearing never to talk to any of us ever, ever, ever, ever, ever again, promising to sever our various familial relations: "You won't ever, ever, ever, ever be my mother!"

The world of a five-year-old must be so depressing.  It's a stage, right?  The DVR stage?

3 comments:

Scott and Karin said...

Oh, Lizzie...I hope you are beginning to feel better, and that if you are not that it gets better soon. Personally, I hate being pregnant. The end result is totally worth it, but that doesn't mean I have to love the process, does it? And the whole DVR thing? We go through it with Annicka quite often at other people's homes who do not have it. One day they will be old enough to understand and comprehend why we can't pause or rewind.

Brooklet said...

How dare you ruin his life by taking him to a home that doesn't have dvr??!! The injustice of it all.

We are about to give up dvr this month and I am sad/scared. My girls (and I) are so used to the gloriousness of DVR, but I am hoping life will be more productive without it (that's what i keep telling myself, because I think I will in reality act like your five year old when it is gone).

Amber and The Boys said...

Well, I am just glad that I am not the only who has a kid who doesn't want me for a mother. Jack informs me daily that he doesn't want me for a mom for some infraction of mine. He has decided that all moms are mean and he would like to be free of them, if only it wasn't for that feeding him, washing his clothes, putting him to bed thing...