our favorite quotes

"Education is not the filling of a pail, but the lighting of a fire."— William Butler Yeats
refresh for more

Friday, June 10, 2011

Buddha the Health Nut

My six-year-old won't eat anything unhealthy. I should be cheering and jumping for joy over this, but you wouldn't believe how difficult it is to make sure his tummy is always satisfied with his self-imposed diet! Apples and carrots aren't very filling and even though he doesn't want to eat unhealthy food, there is also plenty of healthy food that he refuses to eat (i.e. satiating avocado). I swear I should be using this kid as my motivation to get healthy and fit again post-pregnancy! He's like a food mentor; always asking whether his snacks are healthy or not, what vitamins and minerals are in them, and whether they satisfy a dairy, protein, or carbohydrate dietary requirement. It's NUTS! And I should be taking advantage of it as a motivator for me! Instead, I wait until he goes to bed in order to sneak my coconut ice cream bar out of the freezer. At least I have the hypocritical decency to feel guilty afterward. :D

UPDATE: I wrote this post back in November of 2010, and just never published it because I guess I felt it was incomplete. Well, today Buddha is no longer that strict healthy eater and I kind of miss it. A few months ago, he caved, ate a treat, and afterwards informed me rather desperately, "I can't help it! I just love sugar!" Well, buddy, welcome to my world. Don't worry, peeps, I am exaggerating just a bit. All is well at The Bagel Factory.  It's actually kind of nice to be able to enjoy a treat with the family every now and then and not have to find Buddha a special (translate: expensive or time consuming) alternative. And he's actually become a MUCH less picky eater. At dinner times, he'll eat whatever is put in front of him. It's wonderful.

No comments: