our favorite quotes

"Education is not the filling of a pail, but the lighting of a fire."— William Butler Yeats
refresh for more

Friday, March 12, 2010

Birds and Bees

Well, I can honestly say that I didn't expect to be having this type of discussion with my three-year-old for a while yet.  But this morning when I hopped out of the shower, Bugga was there to examine my naked and bulging body.  He pointed at my belly button and asked,

"Did Karsten climb in here?"

"Um, no."

"Well how did he get in you?"

"He arrived from down here (pointing you-know-where)."

"And he climbed up in there?"

"Well no, honey.  Daddy put his sperm in there and his sperm met Mommy's egg and together they made Karsten."

"And did I watch?!"

*Cough* *Cough* *Giggle*

"No, buddy.  You were fast asleep."

And that was it.  I love how kids are so curious and yet so easily satisfied at this age.  And I love that frank, respectful, honest, and open discussion paves a sure path to more of the same as these little guys grow older.  Hopefully they'll never be embarrassed to talk to their mom and dad about sacred topics of this nature.

1 comment:

Freckles said...

I agree, we call parts what they are and don't make up weird names. Natalie asked me the other day what her penis was called. So I told her the correct name and she was so excited, she ran to tell Kai, "Mine's called a China!!" LOL
Good work Liz! How ya feeling?