our favorite quotes

"Education is not the filling of a pail, but the lighting of a fire."— William Butler Yeats
refresh for more

Saturday, February 4, 2012

Everything Soup


Imaginative name, I know. But that really is how it came about. I had a bunch of produce in the fridge that needed to be used. So I used it. And this turned out DE-LI-CIOUS! Which is saying a lot for me since I've never managed to make a palatable soup from scratch. Never. They are usually pretty gross tasting. BUT, last night was MY night because this just worked. Hooray!

Here's what you need:

1 Tbsp coconut oil
1 red onion chopped/diced
5 or 6 carrots chopped/diced
5 or 6 celery stalks chopped/diced (Don't get rid of your wilting celery! Use it for this recipe. My rubbery, floppy celery was one of the ingredients I invented this soup for. :))
2 cloves garlic diced
1 head cabbage chopped
8 cups liquid (I only had 1 cup of vegetable broth left in the whole house, so had to use water for the rest. You could do half broth, half water; or even all broth. Whatever you want.)
2 white sweet potatoes (peeled and cubed)
1 can red kidney beans (drained)
1 can whole sweet corn (drained)
1/2 bunch fresh parsley (roughly chopped)
Italian dry seasoning blend to taste (I used McCormick Perfect Pinch Italian Seasoning because that's what just happened to JUMP out at me when I opened my spice cupboard.  :))
Salt to taste

I remember reading somewhere that we should "eat the rainbow."  Just look at these gorgeous colors!


Here's how you do it:

1. Heat oil over medium heat

2. Saute onion, carrots, and celery in oil.  When onions start to become opaque, add garlic and saute just for a bit (don't want garlic to burn, ya know).

3. Add some seasoning to your sauteing veggies.  However much you want.  Remember, I only had one cup of broth, so I bulked up on seasoning.  If you have more broth than I did, you can go easier on the seasonings.

4. Add all the cabbage and 1 cup of liquid.  Allow cabbage to cook down a little (a few minutes), while stirring occasionally.

5. Add remaining 7 cups of liquids and sweet potato cubes.

6. Bring liquid to a boil, then reduce heat to simmer.

7. When sweet potatoes are soft (test with a fork), add beans and corn and allow to warm up.

8. Add parsley and salt.

9. Serve with warm spelt biscuits (recipe to follow).

10. Enjoy!

This fed my family of five with LOTS of leftovers to freeze/refrigerate.  SCORE!

post signature

No comments: