our favorite quotes

"Education is not the filling of a pail, but the lighting of a fire."— William Butler Yeats
refresh for more

Tuesday, October 23, 2007

Tuesday SD Fire Update

So, our area of San Diego is still under mandatory evacuation and probably will be until tomorrow, if not later. The Witch Creek Fire ("our" fire) has burned up to 200,000 acres and is only 1% contained. 600 structures have burned! It is now converging with another fire called the Poomacha Fire. There are so many fires in Southern California now that I don't even know what the current count is. I just heard Brain Williams, reporting from Rancho Bernardo, say that with FEMA's new numbers at 960,000 evacuees, we have now surpassed any other American peace-time movement in history since the Civil War. Orange County has some very threatening fires now and large numbers of people are being evacuated. And yet, with the new reverse 911 system, there have only been five deaths and relatively few injuries throughout the fires. I can't wait to go home. I hope we can soon.

4 comments:

Lisa/Scott said...

I hope you can go home soon too! What a horrible thing to happen to so many homes! I'm so glad you're safe though. I've been following some of it on the news and it made me nervous to know that your home is involved in all that. I know what you mean about things being surreal when things like that happen. When I was in La paz on my mission there was a huge flood that killed over a hundred people (that were found...there were more that just went missing) you know how la paz is shaped, and they have a lousy drainage system there, so hundreds of homes were lost. The one great thing about the U.S. is that we have access to help, and evacuation methods...I saw some really sad things in my mission tht I won't go into, because I don't like talking about them, but that flood was some of it. It did, however, make me thankful for the resources we have here in the United states. I'm thankful for those resources again for keeping you and your family safe. I'll be praying for you.

Kari said...

Thanks for the update Liz, we hope you can go home soon aqnd that everything is okay with your home and your neighboors. It is amazing to see this on the news and I can't imagine actually being there. If there is anything we can do from here please let us know!!

Kari said...

Thanks for the update Liz, we hope you can go home soon aqnd that everything is okay with your home and your neighboors. It is amazing to see this on the news and I can't imagine actually being there. If there is anything we can do from here please let us know!!

Scott and Karin said...

That is so scary! Our prayers are with you.