Thursday, June 5, 2008
The Bomb Book Club
I went to a book club with three close friends on Tuesday night. We started around 8pm and I didn't get home until 12:30am. I had so much fun and laughed so hard. It was just what I've been needing since, well, since Buddha was born. :) We discussed the Twilight series book #1, and Libby had awesome questions to ask us all. Naturally, we got off course a few times, chatting away about girl stuff, kids, men (our husbands, of course), being afraid of the dark, and everything else under the sun, but we always came back to Edward and Bella. Here's a few of the questions that elicited a good, healthy debate with our cozy little group. I'd love to hear all your thoughts.
1. How would you characterize Bella? Strong? Weak? Typical? Low self-esteem? Average?
2. Do you think Edward and Bella have a healthy relationship?
3. Will you want your hormonal teenage daughter to read these books?
4. What is it that makes us, as grown women, love these books so much?
5. What makes us love Edward so much? Or do you side with Jacob?
6. This is my question that has been burning me up since I read these books. I'm just curious what you guys think since there really is no way to resolve this issue. What does Edward do when Bella, being a normal teenage girl, menstruates? Why doesn't the author address this HUGE issue?
Okay, friends, hit me with your answers. We had a great time discussing these things at our book club. We're meeting again at the end of this month and any other time that we can come up with a good excuse to get together. It was the most exhilarating feeling to be able to keep the flow of female conversation going without any interruptions for diaper changes, snack breaks, squabble patrols, etc. Thanks girls, I had a great time and I can't wait until next time! And thank you, Papa, for letting me be "the girly me" for a night.