our favorite quotes

"Education is not the filling of a pail, but the lighting of a fire."— William Butler Yeats
refresh for more

Tuesday, December 4, 2007

Busy, Busy Day

Saturday was a fun day full of lots of activities! We started out the day bright and early by waking up the boys to drive to the Aquarium of the Pacific in Long Beach. Grandma and Grandpa followed behind and we met Uncle P, Aunt Li, and V up in Orange County. We had a great time checking out all the exotic, colorful fish and sleek, slimy sharks and sting rays. After the aquarium, we went to lunch. Lunch was followed by a visit to V's house to sing happy birthday to her and eat yummy cupcakes. Then we left Grandma and Grandpa to spend the remainder of the weekend with Orange County family and we drove back to San Diego listening to the BYU v. SDSU football game on the radio. We drove straight to our church building where we attended our ward Christmas party. This is where we got that priceless picture of Bugga with Santa that is currently decorating the top of our blog sidebar. This is also where our busy day ended...thank goodness. We took two very tired boys home and we all went straight to bed. A long, perfect, happy day!

I love Jellyfish. They are so cool looking.

Bugga checking out the stroller wheels for me.

Crazy-looking fish whose name I know not. (Okay, I'm not entirely certain about this one, but after countless hours of pointless research, I believe I can accurately peg this as some type of Scorpion Fish. Woohoo!)

Buddha and Bugga parked in the Jellyfish window.

Check out the colors on this fish...they are brilliant!

Bugga hitching a ride on Grandpa.

I think this is a Lionfish. It would seem to fit anyway.

Buddha, Bugga, and V checking out the Sea Lions.

Bugga fascinated by a strong fan.

Sting Rays. I also love these. They move so gracefully.

Buddha by some Jellyfish.

Seahorses!

Buddha hiding from the camera.

A whole tank full of Nemo's and Dori's! Any child's dream come true!

Buddha and V. Definitely cousins!

A scuba diver came and talked with the audience outside the display. Then another brought out a head of lettuce which was followed by a frantic feeding frenzy...as you can see.

Bugga waving to the scuba diver.

This is V telling the scuba diver, and I quote, "I came to the aquarium today because I am a mermaid. My name is Ariel." So funny! And that sting ray was definitely hungry for a little attention itself. Can you find the scuba diver?

Another crazy ocean dweller whose name eludes me. (I just looked this up and found out it's called the Leafy Sea Dragon)

Bugga and Grandma

Bugga trying lemon at the restaurant.

Such a sweet little face.

A very pretty cousin, happy with her new puppet theater.

Eating cupcakes at V's house.

14 comments:

Marcia said...

That first fish you couldn't name reminds me of the Angel fish we saw while snorkeling in the Red Sea.

Nice pictures. Thanks for sharing. Can't ever get enough of the boys.

Miriam Herm said...

Your pictures are AWESOME! and fish totally creep me out. so when i say that i love that jeelyfish picture, it means a lot.

i love that jellyfish picture.

what a fun day?

ps are you random?

Liz said...

Thanks Miriam, that means a lot coming from you...and not because fish creep you out. You take incredible pictures yourself. I feel like an apprentice receiving praise from the Master. :) j/k That was weird. Oh well, I guess I am a bit random. My sister must have rubbed off on me. Or maybe we just have the same blood. Yeah, that must be it. Hmmm...now I'm talking to myself on my own blog. Maybe random isn't the right word for me. :)

Mom, I looked up Angelfish. That's not what it is. I wonder if I'll ever know? Can anyone name that fish? And the other that I didn't know the name of?

Sara said...

Oh haha...your sister rubbed off on you?! Nice one. I'm the normal, sane sister- you are the "other" sister. :) Just teasing. And I LOVED that picture of Anders and Santa- that is how I feel sometimes in busy shopping malls. I understand the little guy. Mucho funny.

Liz said...

Okay, people, the fish that looks like a plant is called the Leafy Sea Dragon. I put it in the post, too, so you can see which one I'm talking about. I still can't figure out what the other is.

Liz said...

Alrighty then, after wasting more time surfing the web, I can say with about 80% certainty that the mahogany mystery fish is some type of Scorpion Fish. If you don't know which one I'm talking about, just check the pictures again. I updated the caption. Ah, it feels good to have those resolved. :) Aren't you all just so relieved that I figured that out?

Daniel said...

Love the pics Lizzie, especially Anders trying out the lemon. Ha! By the way, since I have extensive experience with marine life (not the ones who kill terrorists), the fish you are looking for is the Phycodurus Eques. I've studied them for years. Ok, so I just got on the "Aquarium of the Pacific" website and looked at all their fishy names, and I picked one that I thought had a cool name. It's probably the wrong one.

Liz said...

Nice, Daniel. I like it. Improvising.

Lisa/Scott said...

Crystal would be so jealous...she can stare at fish forever. The lemon picture is great...I thought Scott and I were the only parents to do that stuff. lol. Glad to see we're normal.

Lauren said...

You're not kiddin'--busy day! But it looks like you all had a blast! My favorite is the lion fish.

Don and Amy Bennion said...

I have to admit, every time you post pictures of things you do around San Diego, even in the middle of winter(!) I get a little jealous. Maybe not jealous, maybe just a little more convinced I want to live there one day!
Amy

Brooklet said...

I can tell you are totally enjoying your new camera!

The pictures are great! WE have sea dragons at our little aquarium here in pittsburgh, we love to look at them, because its like looking at floating seaweed. very interesting.

Sounds like you have a busy, Busy december! Good luck!

Unknown said...

Sounds like a really fun and busy day! I totally love the picture with Santa - what a classic! It is so great to see updates of you guys! I hope you are having a Merry Christmas season!

Lisa said...

Your pictures turn out so awesome! I am very jealous of your new camera. The colors turn out so sharp and vibrant. I can't believe those are pictures taken behind glass.