our favorite quotes

"Education is not the filling of a pail, but the lighting of a fire."— William Butler Yeats
refresh for more

Tuesday, December 4, 2007

Weekday Warriors

On Wednesday last week, Grandma and Grandpa came into town from Arizona. They "helped" us fill in the cracks between our huge cement pavers with red dyed quickrete. I say "helped," because in reality they did everything. I did nothing but keep the boys from running out there and wreaking havoc. Oh, and I made them sandwiches one day. So, they filled in the cracks with concrete, then they tore up the corner wilderness area pictured below. Friday it was pouring rain...literally. It was sheets and buckets of rain all mixed together in one colossal storm, but Grandma Bagel was still out there, soaked from head to toes, terracing a garden area for me. Yesterday they stopped in on their way back to Arizona from Orange County and they planted some herbs and vegetables for me in "my" garden. I didn't do anything, so can it really be mine? Anyway, I love it! I love the garden. I'll have to take a picture of it. And in her "spare" time, Grandma Bagel altered a dress for me, decorated my fireplace mantel with berries from the transplanted bushes, and hung a light in our kitchen with Grandpa Bagel's help. Do they ever sleep?! No. Not much anyway.

The Mastermind

The Slave Laborer

The Admirer

Project #2

The Genius Displayed

"Spare Time"

7 comments:

Kari said...

Looks great Liz, isn't it nice to haver parents that like to help and can make things look so nice? I can't wait to be able to do fun things like this at my very own house!

Scott and Karin said...

Gotta love the in-laws! I recognize that shirt that Anders is wearing in the picture of him looking out the window. Park has the same one! How funny.

Sara said...

Hey, do your in-laws hire out? Can they come to my house next? That is so awesome! Your backyard looks amazing now. You lucky dog you. Well, not dog, I mean, you lucky beautiful princess you. haha.

Lisa/Scott said...

What would anyone do without Grandpa and Grandma. I hope I'm that wonderful when I'm old! Must come with time.

Don and Amy Bennion said...

Sounds like you have great parents-in-laws Liz! It reminds me of mine. It's rarely just a visit--Don's dad usually finds some project to work on while he's around. I won't complain! Looks like a great house you guys have, too.
Amy

Barbara said...

Wow...where do they get such great energy? If they ever bottle it send it my way... You must be a great daughter in law or they wouldn't take such great interest in helping:-)
Your place looks darling!
B.

Brooklet said...

Wow! what productive and efficient in-laws! Everything looks fabulous.