our favorite quotes

"Education is not the filling of a pail, but the lighting of a fire."— William Butler Yeats
refresh for more

Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Gay Marriage and the LDS Church

Yes, I am an advocate for protecting marriage as a union between a man and a woman only.

No, I am not a gay basher or homophobe or any of the other derogatory terms aimed at belittling people who are supposedly not as "open-minded" as the rest of the world.

Yes, I love gay people.

No, I don't love or agree with their sexual choices and practices.

No, I don't believe that homosexuality will ever bring happiness as it is against God's plan for us and threatens to destroy the very central unit of our society - the family - by redefining marriage to include a union between two people who cannot possibly naturally procreate.

There. I have now opened a can of worms. And if you've made it this far without punching your computer screen and/or scoffing at me, I'll tell you why I'm asserting myself now. This opinion is something I've bottled up inside for a long time now, not wanting to step on any toes. But I can't zip my lips anymore. I just can't. The members of our church here in California are going out in force each evening and Saturdays, walking door to door, educating people about Proposition 8 and protecting marriage as a union between a man and a woman. Why are we doing this? Because we've been asked to, begged to, commanded to. Our church maintains a strong position with regard to gay marriage - it is not okay.

"We the First Presidency and the Council of the Twelve Apostles of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, solemnly proclaim that marriage between a man and a woman is ordained of God and that the family is central to the Creator's plan for the eternal destiny of His children....We declare that God's commandment for His children to multiply and replenish the earth remains in force. We further declare that God has commanded that the sacred powers of procreation are to be employed only between a man and woman, lawfully wedded as husband and wife....We call upon responsible citizens and officers of government everywhere to promote those measures designed to maintain and strengthen the family as the fundamental unit of society." - The Family: A Proclamation to the World.

Now, I may not be the most politically savvy person in the world, but I have an intensely strong testimony of the truthfulness of the gospel of Jesus Christ and in continuing revelation through a living prophet. If we receive direction from the Prophet and the Twelve Apostles, we can be sure it comes directly from God. I realize that to a person who hasn't grown up in a home with religion, this whole post may sound bizarre and fanatical. But if you could only feel what I feel and know what I know.... Even on the Sundays when my children could rival the chilling blare of an Israeli air raid siren, I still know that church is where I want to and should be. Even when I have to get up super early to attend meetings and follow up our Sunday services with yet another meeting, I still want to be there and be doing just that. Church is my haven each week. By Saturday my well has usually run dry and seeing my church family and listening to uplifting talks and singing with the Primary children fills me up again. Getting outside myself, focusing on and serving others helps me to see beyond the very tiny bubble that is my life. At church I can step away from the constant barrage of all things worldly (or Internet-y) and instead focus on feeding my soul, my spirit. The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints is the only true and living church on the face of the earth today. I can say that with complete confidence and conviction. If you are skeptical or find yourself writing me off as brainwashed, then I urge you to find out for yourself. Finding a Mormon church isn't hard. Come with me. I'll take you. And no, Mormons don't have horns. No one will bite you, roll around on the floor in hysteria, or throw you into a baptismal font and declare you a member. No one wants to convince you to believe. We don't have to. Just come, and listen, and be "open-hearted," and you'll know too. Oh, oh, and if you're still too chicken to come to church then just turn on your TV this weekend and see if your cable provider has the channel that broadcasts The Semi-Annual General Conference of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. There are 4 hours of meetings each day and I guarantee that you won't see anything crazy or hear anything bizarre. More likely, you will be touched by the wisdom and depth of the speakers and the beautiful spirit of the meeting. So, I dare you. Go ahead. Find out what Mormons are all about. You know you want to.

At any rate, God is aware of what is happening in California right now. He has asked all members of the church to show support for Proposition 8, whether or not you live in California. Just click on the link to the right for a good place to start. I know for a fact that there are some of you reading this (if you're still reading) who probably think less of me now. But if you didn't know this about me, then you didn't really know me. And now you do and you can make an educated decision whether or not to keep me as a friend. I will be hoping and praying for a favorable conclusion.

8 comments:

Becky said...

Wow, that was really brave of you to post that! I completely agree with you though and am impressed at how you put your thoughts out there!

Daniel said...

Amen Lizzie! Well written. All you Californians get out and vote! If for nothing else we need males and females to get married and have children so we can produce more Americans to fight against our enemies in the great battle of Armageddon. Oh, I guess since I'm still single I should be saying that we just need to protect marriage as God has commanded it to be. :)

Jacqui said...

Awesome post Liz! Thanks for sharing and reminding us all that we must take a stand and voice our opinion!

Jen said...

Couldn't agree with you more!

lindsey. said...

You say to-may-toe, I say to-mah-toe. We both know we are on opposite sides of the fence on this issue and we are both passionately rooted on our respective side. That should never mean we cannot be friends.

Unknown said...

Even though I have gay friends, I must say I agree with you. I believe that people struggle with feelings for the same sex just like I struggle with my own weaknesses, and though I don't agree with acting on them, I still love my friends very much. It's a complicated world we live in when we have to try not to offend people. Ultimately, we will always offend someone, somewhere, and we just have to go with what we believe to be true if we have any guts at all. My biggest issue with gay marriage aside from my obvious religious beliefs that I share with Liz is that I don't think gay couples should adopt children...this is actually something I'm extremely passionate about. Each person has the opportunity to choose to act on their weaknesses, but when a gay couple adopts a child they take away their opportunity to grow up with both a mother and a father, and they didn't choose that. I believe that if gay marriage is enforced than there will be more adoption from gay couples and I think it's wrong to involve a child in your choice to live a homosexual lifestyle. If my friends choose that lifestyle for themselves, thats their choice, and I'll treat them like I always have, but we live in a society that is completely screwing up the family unit and I don't like it.

Melissa said...

Lyz- what you wrote was beautiful and profound! You sure have a way with words. I agree with what you said. That is neat to hear that you guys are knocking doors spreading the word. That is great- way to go! We really need to protect marriage more- Brandon (who works with marriage and families every day!) agrees so whole heartedly! He even started to cry a bit when Palin was stating strongly what her believes are. He is so proud when politicians will take such a strong stand like that.

Barbara said...

Amen!!
I just reread this to Morris and I like it better each time I read it:)
B.
ps...How come I have no pictures of you guys at the blessing?? Boooo
We should have done a Big group shot...