our favorite quotes

"Education is not the filling of a pail, but the lighting of a fire."— William Butler Yeats
refresh for more

Monday, July 2, 2007

Walk Two Moons

This is a great book! I should be checking out the teen section in the library more often apparently. :) Sharon Creech is a talented, ingeneous writer. Walk Two Moons is a timeless tale of self-discovery and independence gained as one young teenage girl travels in her mother's wake across the United States. During her travels with her grandparents, Sal relates the story of her neighbor and friend, Phoebe, or "Peeby," as Sal's grandparents call her. The Badlands, The Black Hills, Mt. Rushmore, and Old Faithful - these are some of the stops along the way where Sal comes to important realizations about her life and the life her mother led before she left home. Layers upon layers - Sal's story within Phoebe's story within Gram and Gramps's story - this book is like an onion, and it definitely had me crying at the end. Here's one of my favorite statements from the book: "Everybody is just walking along concerned with his own problems, his own life, his own worries. And we're all expecting other people to tune into our own agenda. 'Look at my worry. Worry with me. Step into my life. Care about my problems. Care about me.'" So true! I've often found myself looking at complete strangers wondering what their concerns and worries are and wondering how I manage to pass by so many people while still completely consumed by my own problems. All in all, a great read. Thanks Brooke! Oh, and incidentally, I think if we ever have a pet (heaven forbid), we'll name it "Huzza."

2 comments:

abby said...

sounds like a great read! I love all these book reviews. I find myself in a slump alot too and it is so nice to know what books are about so I don't waste any time at the library. I could be there all day I love it but I don't have all day. Anywho, I have a book to add. I just finished it for my Foundations of Reading Instruction class. City of Ember. I don't want to give away what happens but it was a really good read. Made for elementary school children so it will be a fast read. I really enjoyed it. Hope you do too!!

Brooklet said...

I am glad you liked the book. Young lit is among my favorite stuff, because usually its clean, and a lot of times you can get some really, really good stories. Another cute light read is Ida B. It's a fast read also, but some good insight into the feelings that make us motivate us.