our favorite quotes

"Education is not the filling of a pail, but the lighting of a fire."— William Butler Yeats
refresh for more

Saturday, July 14, 2007

We're Not Homeless Anymore!

We finally found a place to live and boy was it a miracle! All the credit goes to divine intervention for this one. And, of course, to our wonderful friends, Jacoby and Heather, who were willing to check the place out for us during a viewing. Thanks sooooooooo much guys! The Chief went to school this morning really early (earlier than he normally does on Saturdays). When he got there and opened up his computer to start studying, he felt like he should check rentals first. That's when he found this Craigslist ad...the only new one when he put in our desired area and hit search. It had been posted last night at like 1:00AM. So, he shot me an email and told me to call the numbers...QUICK. You have to understand. It's been so cutthroat ever since we started looking for a home to rent. Every single one we're interested in and ask for more information on, gets stolen right out from under us...usually only half a day or less after it's been posted! It's been quite ridiculous, frustrating, disheartening, depressing, etc. So, I didn't get my hopes up for this one. I did call both numbers twice, leaving two messages with each. And I emailed the email address twice as well. I finally got a hold of the owner and property manager, Vicki, and we hit it off. She said she liked talking with me and wanted to give us the place, she just wanted us to see it first (or our friends) just to make sure we liked it. Throughout the course of the day, we corresponded back and forth to set everything up. She let me know a couple of times that she was receiving hundreds of phone calls for the property. She even told me that one lady who called her said, "I'm standing outside of your home. I want to rent it." I think it spooked and astounded Vicki. I kept expressing our almost certain desire to rent the place and she kept reassuring me that she really liked us, had a good feeling about us, and would give us the place after the viewing. So, Jacoby and Heather showed up at three and called me on Vicki's cell phone to give me a blow by blow run down on the place. I said, "We'll take it."

(Aside) The house is in a quaint area just a little bit northeast of downtown San Diego. We're close to Torrey Pines Beach and, of course, the Torrey Pines golf course which The Chief will be able to golf at a discount because we'll be San Diego residents. It's also located within the award-winning Poway Unified School District, which has the top-rated public schools in all of California. We hope to end up in this area long term when we can afford to buy.

So, back to my story. :) Later, Vicki sent us pictures of the interior of the home that she had taken during the viewing. We love it! It's even better than its description. Vicki kept telling me, "Now, it's older, but it's clean." Well, I was expecting something really outdated and run down...but clean. Not so! Check out the pictures to see our new place. We are proud renters once again. :) Hopefully some day, in the not-too-distant future, we'll be able to be proud owners again. We've thoroughly enjoyed our little condo here in Utah. We'll miss it. But now that the hunt for a home is over, I am REALLY excited to get to California. HERE WE COME, SAN DIEGO! :) We hope you'll all come visit. We've got plenty of room for guests!

P.S. These pictures are in no particular order. Oh, and the current renters were caught unaware...that's why it's kind of a mess with stuff all over the place. We didn't mind one bit. :) I forgot to add the details. The house is 3 bedrooms, 2 baths, just over 1400 sqft. It has everything we HAD (wink wink) to have like washer/dryer, A/C, backyard, and 2 car garage. And it has more space (if only a little) than our condo here. So, yeah, we're pretty darn stoked!

This is the picture that was in the Craigslist ad The Chief found this morning. I think the house is so cute and charming. And I especially love the bougainvillea creeping onto the roof.

Here's the dining room, looking into the kitchen, with Jacoby wandering around...probably talking to me on the cell phone. Bet you didn't know Vicki got a picture of you, Jacoby! Now you've made it onto the Bagel Blog. You're famous! :)

Entry

French doors from kitchen to back patio area

Guest bathroom

Kitchen

Nice gas stove (The Chief is really happy about this)

Living/Family room

Master bedroom

Patio area

Backyard

7 comments:

Kari said...

Looks really nice, we're excited for you! What a relief to know where you'll be going and to be in such a good area too.

Jolene said...

That does look really nice. I don't think it looks old at all. Maybe the out side, but the inside looks all redone. Very nice. How luck for you.

Scott and Karin said...

It's DARLING! What a cute house! I guess it was worth not seeing you guys today. I really am glad for you. That must be a HUGE relief. how many beds and baths? Maybe we'll have to make the trip sometime, just to go to the beach, of course. =) We do hope to see you before you leave!

Liz said...

Karin, I just added that info in the P.S. section of the post. But since I don't usually read posts more than once, I'll put it here, too. :) I can't believe I forgot to add that stuff. It's a 3bd, 2ba, 1400+sqft with 2 car gar, A/C, washer/dryer, and all appliances included. And I'm really thrilled to have the backyard, too! It's a huge bonus for the boys. :)

Liz said...

Oh, and definitely come visit. We'd love to have you!

Lisa/Scott said...

The house looks great! Congratulations...it already looks like you're going to be making some great memories over there.

Lisa said...

Liz & Dan, I am sooo happy for you guys. Looking at the pictures makes me so homesick for San Diego. I am telling you in advance that I will be visiting you next summer. The place looks great. The kitchen is really open and beautiful. The yard is great. I recognize all the foilage. It is very similar to what my Grandma had. I can picture you guys in it already. Liz, do you think you can find me a place?