our favorite quotes

"Education is not the filling of a pail, but the lighting of a fire."— William Butler Yeats
refresh for more

Tuesday, May 8, 2007

Crazy Sacrament Meeting

This last Sunday we were invited to the baby blessing of Halle, Lisa and Kevin's baby girl. Lisa advised us to arrive early since there would be five baby blessings that day!! I have never, ever been to a sacrament meeting with five baby blessings, but it turns out there were actually six! Lisa let us know that their ward extends into the cultural hall on a regular basis, so you can all imagine what it was like with the added volume of visitors for six baby blessings! By the time all the blessings were over and the sacrament had been administered (water had to be blessed multiple times), there were only six minutes left for testimonies. There were four or five testimonies, one of which was a lovely, heart-felt testimony from Lisa about her love for her family and her gratitude for the eternal nature of families. The other testimony that I remember, in fact, it's one that I don't think I'll ever forget, was offered by a boy who looked about 10 or 11 years old. He stood up and began with, "I'd like to bear my testimony about my dog. One of them died." He proceeded to inform us that they had taken the dog to the vet and the vet had told them the dog was going to die. "No he's not," the boy replied, "I'm going to pray." But the dog still died, the boy admitted. So, what does he do? "I prayed for the dog to come back to life." But it didn't, he admitted. Why? "Because that doesn't exist." And here, the boy turned away from the podium and made like he was going to return to his seat. The Bishop quietly prompted him to close properly and the boy hurriedly mumbled, "in the name of...." Honestly, I still don't know what to make of it. It was bizarre, to say the least. But, I commend the young man for his bravery! Thanks for including us in your wonderful, happy day, Lisa and Kevin! We had a great time. We love you guys.

4 comments:

Brooklet said...

Utah!

Anonymous said...

Hi Liz
I am so glad that you started this blog. It is so entertaining to read from. It is like you have your own comlumn. You definitley have a way with words. I laughed when I read what you wrote about Sunday. I am glad that you guys were there.
Lisa Foster

Jarem Frye said...

Fun!
For our baby's blessing there will be a full two extra people in church. My mom and dad. What a contrast to Utah where you can have six kids in one ward all at the same time and everyone from family, work, school, accross the street and down the road at the local gas station wants to be there for you.
Man it would be nice to only have six minutes for testomonies in our ward sometimes.
Congratulations Lisa and Kevin.

Marcia said...

I forgot about ward testimony meetings. I think I miss the entertainment. I did get tired of hearing from the exact same people every single month.