our favorite quotes

"Education is not the filling of a pail, but the lighting of a fire."— William Butler Yeats
refresh for more

Friday, May 4, 2007

From My Brother-In-Law...

My name is Jarem Frye. When I was fourteen years old I was diagnosed with bone cancer. This was a shock to my family whose only experience with cancer was the death of my grandmother ten years earlier. She had fought a painful battle with cancer and lost. Now my parents feared the same for me.

Thanks to a decade of advancements, however, I had better fortune than my dear grandma. After enduring nearly two years of intense chemotherapy, and the amputation of my left leg above the knee, I can gratefully say that I am alive and well. I am also proud to announce that I am a new dad! This means a lot to me because my treatment left me with very little chance of having children.

Sadly, several friends I made during my time in the hospital didn’t survive to live their dreams. Even now cancer kills as many mothers, fathers, siblings and friends as we lost in the terrorist attacks of 9.11 every two days!

Since I beat cancer I have accomplished many things I was told would never be possible. I became the first above knee amputee to telemark ski, wakeboard, and rock climb on the pro level. 
This summer I will be riding in a 100 mile bicycle ride called the CT Challenge to raise money for cancer research. I have set a goal to raise $10,000 dollars to help make our future safer than our past. I am working hard to raise this money and to reach the level of fitness it will take to ride a hundred miles with only one leg.

I am trying to raise money for cancer, not because I am a cancer survivor myself, but to honor my grandmother's life and to improve my new son’s and all of our children's lives. I would be greatly honored if you will help me reach my goal of raising $10,000 for this effort. Donations are tax deductible and you can donate securely by visiting my page on the CT Challenge website.

Please consider donating to my ride by contributing just $1 per mile of this ride. If you can donate more, please do. You can donate by going to the CT Challenge website http://www.ctchallenge.com/ and entering Jarem Frye as the rider you would like to sponsor.

Thank you so much!
Jarem Frye

P.S. All proceeds will be given to the Yale Cancer Center for research.

No comments: