our favorite quotes

"Education is not the filling of a pail, but the lighting of a fire."— William Butler Yeats
refresh for more

Friday, May 4, 2007

Hmmm...What to Eat....???

I'm taking a poll. I want to know if anyone else out there has the problems I have with meal time. First of all, I'd like to start by saying that I aspire to be the perfect homemaker, wife, mother, lover, etc. However...I am far from it. I like to think I'm domestic. I clean the house, take care of the kids, grocery shop, do laundry, yada yada yada. But I want to be the perfect little domestic woman, and every day I get stumped by one thing...you ready? Dun dun duh....Dinner. I know, anticlimactic, isn't it? My biggest problem is figuring out what to make. Can anyone out there relate? No, you all probably have this down to an art. I've been married four years and I still can't figure out what to make for dinner. Pretty pathetic. But it doesn't stop there. I also struggle with having preparation time and timing my preparation so it's not during Bugga's feeding or Bugga's bed time. And then there's the clean up! Oh but that's a whole different story. When preparation, eating, and clean up are done...I want to kill myself...but I'm too exhausted by then. :) So, let's address the first problem - what to eat? I spent 20 minutes tonight surfing different recipe websites, trying to find something quick, easy, and meatless. My goodness, there's hardly anything out there that's meatless!! What do all you vegetarians eat?? I finally gave up and made tomato soup and grilled cheese sandwiches...hardly your health fest, but dinner nonetheless. I was quite proud of myself for whipping out even that. I get pretty ashamed of myself when I think about the women who crossed the plains during the pioneer era. They made breakfast, lunch, and dinner for their families. And they were life-sustaining meals! I can't even get dinner for my family, and I know it's important not just for the meal, but also for the "together time." Sometimes I resent food when it takes up too much of my time, but the amount of time I spend on food doesn't even come close to the day-long rituals followed by pioneer women. They planted their food, cultivated their food, harvested their food, prepared their food, cooked their food, ate their food (probably the best part of the whole process), and cleaned up after their food...only to start all over again for the next meal. Again, I'm ashamed. :) So, I want to know what you all do. I'm sure you're all way ahead of me on the road to domestic perfection. So, come on, let's hear it! I need all the help and ideas I can get! Calling all domestic goddesses....

6 comments:

abby said...

You need to make it fun for yourself. I try to try new recipes because after 5 years I am in a rut cooking the same meals over and over so I look out for new things we haven't tried before. Also I love 30 min. meals. Not just from Rachel Ray but there are those little recipe books at the cashier at grocery stores. Some have meatless meals and some have fast and easy meals and they are good. Take a look at them. I have some of my best recipes from those little books. I love cooking. In my family cooking a meal is always how we said we loved you and were grateful for you. So make it fun and full of love!!
(hope there weren't any typos!!):)

Lisa/Scott said...

You can sign up for food & family magazine...it's free and has great ideas...or better yet, just check out their website at http://www.kraftfoods.com/kf/FoodandFamily/
They have a lot of really simple and tasty ideas that are easy to make. When I run out of ideas I find stuff on there sometimes.

Jolene said...

I have the same problem with knowing what to make on almost a daily basis. But I started making a meal plan on Sunday or Monday so that I don't have to worry about it every day. I have also started trowing things into the crock pot in the morning and then it is down at dinner time. I wish I could help you on the whole vegetarian recipes, but there are very few things I make that don't have meat. We eat mostly chicken. The only things I can think of that don't have meat are soups and stir fry. Good luck finding recipes. A friend of mine has a recipe blog with about 17 vegetarian recipes. Here is the address to those recipes.http://recipesviabeth.blogspot.com/search/label/vegetarian
And congratulations to both of you. You both look great. I hope when Ryan graduates he can start finding time to exercise again.

Jolene said...

I just read through what I typed earlier and there are a few typos. Sorry.

Jolene said...

Sorry, It is me again the link to my friends blog got cut off. So just go to this and then click on the vegetarian link on the right side.
http://recipesviabeth.blogspot.com

Liz said...

May 4, 2007 10:13 PM, Uncle D said:

Well, when I was raising my kids......hehe, you're awesome Lizzie! Just keep doing what you're doing. I think the reason the pioneer women had time to make meals is because there wasn't anything else to do. There was no TV, there wasn't any internet, they never needed to visit anybody because they were all right there in the wagon train with them, etc, etc, etc. Their "fun" was planting food with their kids and making meals with their kids, and cleaning out the wagon....yep...with their kids.

I have the perfect idea for a dessert you can make for The Chief and the kids. An avocado-spinach-banana-cauliflower shake. Mmmmm, that sounds so....so.....yummy. :)

Love you!