our favorite quotes

"Education is not the filling of a pail, but the lighting of a fire."— William Butler Yeats
refresh for more

Monday, June 11, 2007

Hearty, Nutty, Healthy Granola

The Chief and I have experimented with making this particular recipe in a variety of different ways, but we both agree that this is the best...so far. :) Hope you like it!

HEARTY, NUTTY, HEALTHY GRANOLA

3 cups old-fashioned rolled oats
1/2 cup chopped almonds (don't chop too small)
1/2 cup chopped pecans/walnuts
1/2 cup unsweetened flaked coconut
1/4 cup hulled green pumpkin seeds
1/4 cup sunflower seeds or pine nuts
1/8 cup hemp seeds (get at local health food store - great source of omega fatty acids!)
1/8 cup sesame seeds
1/8 cup flax seeds
1/2 tsp cinnamon
5 Tbsp unsalted butter
1/2 cup honey
1/2 tsp vanilla extract

Preheat oven to 325 degrees

In a large bowl stir together all ingredients down to, and including, cinnamon. In a small saucepan, melt butter with honey over low heat, stirring often, until thin and syrupy. Add vanilla and pour liquid over oat mixture. Stir until well-combined.

Spread granola over a large baking/cookie sheet. Bake, stirring every 5 minutes* to keep from sticking or burning, until golden brown and crisp (about 25 minutes for us). Granola will crisp more as it cools. If you want to, you can now add dried fruits, raisins, or dates.

Serve with milk, on plain yogurt, as a trail mix...any way you like, really! I love to eat mine mixed with plain yogurt and fresh slices of strawberry. Mmmmm...I'm making myself hungry. Enjoy!

*Our method is to set the timer for 5 minutes and take cookie sheet out to mix granola after each 5 minutes. Then set the timer for another 5 minutes - all the way to 25 minutes. If this makes no sense since it's late and I'm tired, then just do it whatever way works best for you! :)

5 comments:

Brooklet said...

This reminds me of when my mom use to make several batches of granola- enough to fill a five gallon bucket- when we were little. I loved it (except I use to pick out the raisons). I thought about making granola since you can't find any good granola at the store anymore, so I will have to try this recipe.

Marcia said...

You could put peanut butter instead of the butter, if you wanted, or coconut oil. Coconut gives it a good flavor. It actually has too many nuts and seeds for my intestines, but if you can handle it, enjoy.

Liz said...

Hmmm...good ideas! I love all the nuts. They're just what my intestines need. :)

Sara said...

Elizabeth, can you just be our cooking slave, and send us all your great creations each week? Then I could eat healthily too. haha.

Liz said...

I wouldn't be much of a slave for you guys. I can't even manage to cook for my family. Believe me, these things come few and far between...I just happened to have some on hand the other day for these pictures. :)