our favorite quotes

"Education is not the filling of a pail, but the lighting of a fire."— William Butler Yeats
refresh for more

Thursday, June 14, 2007

Steeeeeeerike!

Today Buddha said to me, "Mommy, play cars with me." So, I sat on the couch and played cars with him. After a while I was running out of imaginative things to do with cars, so I asked Buddha, "What do you want me to play with the cars?" He said, "Do bowling ball cars." Well, not knowing what that was, I decided to squeeze a little more imagination out of my brain and I set up some micro machines as the bowling "pins" and used a regular sized car as the bowling "ball." When my "ball" struck down my "pins" on my first roll, I emphatically yelled, "Steeeeeeerike!" Buddha looked up at me and said, "That's from a Cheerios box." What? I wondered what he was talking about and racked my brain. Then I remembered and it blew me away! Before Bugga was born, we were on a Honey Nut Cheerios kick for a while. On the back of the box, they had (and may still have) little comic strips with a bee. The one we kept getting was a story about a bee who was at a baseball game when they lost their pitcher and he had to replace him. He threw three strikes ("Steeeeeeerike") and the game was won. Buddha liked having us read those; I just had no idea that he would remember that over seven months later! I guess I should stop being surprised at his memory since his daddy can remember the craziest things, too. Maybe I'm just so astounded by it because of my lack of memory. At any rate, it's always entertaining what his memory produces...and at the most random times.

3 comments:

Brooklet said...

It always seems like Claire can't remember what I told her three minutes ago, but boy can she pull things out of her hat that I had no idea she remembered. Whenever we walk by this place where we saw a dead snake over a year ago, she asks, "where's the snake?" But you don't remember me telling you to stay out of the fridge two minutes ago?

Tiffany J said...

I know this feeling well!! I am always AMAZED at the the things Dane says. And like you, he definitely gets his memory from his daddy not from me!!

Lisa/Scott said...

Wow. It's kind of a wake up call reguarding how much kids soak in and how we as parents (especially me) need to watch our actions and speech. Kids really do keep us adults in line...amazing that he can retain that stuff in his memory from so long ago already.