our favorite quotes

"Education is not the filling of a pail, but the lighting of a fire."— William Butler Yeats
refresh for more

Monday, June 11, 2007

Wholly Wholesome, Wonderful White Whole Wheat Wbread...Whoops...Bread!

I love snacks. I love baking. I hate cooking meals. In light of this revelation and the enlightening research put forth in The China Study, and, just because I can, I thought I would put a few of my favorite healthy, grainy (content, not texture) snack recipes on our blog. I'll attach labels so that you can find them later if you want to come back to them. Thanks go to Mom for the scrumptious bread recipe and partial thanks to Emeril Legasse for the granola (we tweaked his recipe quite a bit to make it perfect for us). Enjoy!

First of all, head down to your local grocer and pick up some White Whole Wheat Flour (at Wal-Mart we get "Wheat Montana" Prairie Gold White Whole Wheat Flour). It is ground from a whiter kernel than your regular whole wheat flour, so it's lighter and less bitter. This recipe makes one loaf of bread. If your mixer can handle it, go ahead and double or triple it (or more if you're especially blessed with an industrial strength mixer!). :)

WHOLE WHEAT BREAD

Combine the following dry ingredients in a bowl:
3 Cups + 2 Tbsp Whole Wheat Flour
2 Tbsp Wheat Gluten
1 tsp Salt
1 tsp Yeast (SAF Yeast is the best. We get ours at the Bosch Kitchen Center)
(Add 1/2 cup of sunflower seeds here if you like nutty bread. We highly recommend it!)

Combine in another bowl
1 and 1/4 Cup + 1 Tbsp Hot Water
2 Tbsp Applesauce
1 Tbsp Honey

Mix dry and wet ingredients together in mixer, then allow mixer (if yours is strong enough) to knead dough for 5 minutes. If you don't have a strong enough mixer (like me), then just hand-knead your dough for 5-10 minutes. Grease your bread pan with butter, then mold your dough into the bread pan. Cover with a damp cloth and allow to rise for 1 hour (2 hours if making nutty bread).

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

Pop bread into oven for 30 minutes. Remove bread from bread pan promptly after taking it out of the oven so that it doesn't sweat and get soggy as it cools. Cool on its side on a cooling rack. Slice, slather with butter, and enjoy this guiltless creation!

6 comments:

Daniel said...

Mmmmm, that looks so good! I wish we had good bread over here. I eat fluffy (fake) wheat bread. God bless the USA! :)

Brooklet said...

I am with you- I love to bake, and don't particularly enjoy cooking! This recipe looks yummy- I am intrigued since you include applesauce in it.

Marcia said...

Butter! You slathered butter on it? That's an animal product. Ha ha. Your loaves are a little flat and thin. Can you use a smaller pan? Other than that it looks really good. Lucky Dan. Lucky boys.

Liz said...

Mom, I was just talking to my friend today about my loaves being like bricks. I gave her this recipe last week and she's already made a couple of batches of bread. But, she makes it with her KitchenAid mixer and says that the longer it kneads the better it rises. I've been skimping on the kneading time since I do it by hand. This last time (those pictures) I think I may have lasted 4-5 minutes before I got bored and plopped them in the pans to rise. I need a better mixer. :)

The Chief said...

I like the alliteration in the title of this post. Even the Whoops follows suit. For the record, I like the little squat loaves. It is like eating banana bread without the bananas . . . or sugar.

Liz said...

Thanks, Dan, I'm glad you caught what no one else seems to have noticed. :) Shame on all the rest of you! :) j/k! I had a lot of fun with that title. Or perhaps it's just an indication of how tired I was at the time. :)