our favorite quotes

"Education is not the filling of a pail, but the lighting of a fire."— William Butler Yeats
refresh for more

Wednesday, June 20, 2007

Here's The "Tall and Short" Of It....

These are some great pictures from Unkey Dino in Iraq, and Mom and Dad in Guatemala.

For those who don't know my brother, Unkey Dino, he's not a small guy. I believe he's just over 6' tall. But, here he is with Thurl Bailey (left) and Shawn Bradley (center) and we don't know who the other guy is. :)

Unkey Dino with 7'6" Shawn Bradley

These two pictures are from my parents in Guatemala. Wow! We North Americans are tall! :)

Or maybe it's just that the Guatemaltecos are so short! Yeah, there we go, that's about right now...on his knees!

Did you know they've lowered the missionary age?! Seriously, when I saw this picture, I thought I was looking at a 12-year-old. But this is one of the missionaries that came through the CCM.

....Then again, maybe they already had lowered the missionary age. Here's Unkey Dino when he received his mission call to Colombia.
I think he was 14. :)

5 comments:

Marcia said...

Oh my word, Daniel looks 14 in that pictue, he really does. Too funny. And no, North Americans aren't tall; those Latins are short!

Daniel said...

Hey, some people are just prepared for the mighty work of the Lord at a younger age. :) Ah the humility is oozing from my skin.

Brooklet said...

Holy Cow, in the top picture Daniel looks like he's 4'7''. I would love to see the latin missionaries standing with the basketball players, though- that would be a great comparison!

Liz, remember when we met Thuro Bailey outside the Marriet Center when we were on a walk? I think you approached him and asked him how tall he was!


And Daniel is still the only person I have ever met (or heard of) that left on his mission at 17! That really does seem so young!

Liz said...

That would be a great picture! I would love to see the Latins with the BBall Players! I second the motion, now who can set it up? If anyone could, it would be you, Dad. Get that going, would you? I need a picture like that to make me smile every day! :)

Yes, Brooke, I remember meeting Thurl Bailey. I did ask him how tall he was and he shook my hand. I think I was in a bit of shock since we were at like the back of the Marriott Center and he came out a little "secret" door or something. He was huge! And even he looks a bit dwarfed next to Shawn Bradley.

Lisa/Scott said...

Yeah, I was as tall as the average guy in bolivia... I loved it because people thought I was tall and as we all know, the taller you are, the thinner you look. People always thought I was thin there and I weighed almost twenty pounds more there than I do now.